» Brownies. Don’t Eat Off The Sidewalk!

Brownies.

Hey kids! I know i’ve said this like eight times already, but I am truly, honestly, swear on the life of a baby bunny almost done. I’m pulling the ‘i’m not leaving this futon until it’s written’ trick that I did last time. I’ve had some setbacks. Like, you know, the lack of desire to do anything but watch t.v. I watched 15 episodes of Supernatural in one day. I kid you not. Also, something is up with out router where nothing wireless will work, and I tried plugging my laptop directly into it but that didn’t work until it occured me to try every plug. So then I transferred everything i’d been doing on the desktop over to my laptop and I have no excuses and i’ve been up for a very long time in case you couldn’t tell.

But here is something to tide you over! This is like a half recipe so I didn’t put it into the book. I’m hoping that someone will take them and make them into something a little less fally-aparty.

One night long long ago, I was ignoring the FoodNetwork and some special they had on that involved the Barefoot Contessa making these brownies. Obviously I don’t want to use six eggs, but I thought it looked like something worth veganizing so I looked up the recipe, bookmarked it, and ignored it.

The taste is great. They’re fudgy, melt in your mouth brownies. The reason it didn’t make it into the issue is that they’re hard to get out of the pan. Now personally, I have no problems with scraping the bottom of the pan to get crumbs, but I figured some people might. I made them a few times, once with less chocolate to see if that would help and it didn’t. Maybe they’re fine the way they are, maybe someone else can improve on them, whatever. I’m going to keep the instructions short so I can get back to recipe editing.

Whoamygod Brownies

3/4 c chocolate chips

1/4 c margarine

1/2 c flour

1/4 c cocoa powder

1 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

1 container vanilla soy yogurt

2/3 c sugar (this could probably be reduced a bit, if you care)

2 T soymilk

1 t vanilla

Note: I didn’t write down the oven temp or baking time, but i’m going to go with 350 degrees and 30 minutes because that’s what the recipe i’m ripping off says.

1. Use a makeshift double boiler to melt the chocolate chips and margarine. Resist the urge to eat it all because shocker, chocolate and melted Earth Balance taste really good together. Set it in the fridge to cool a bit, maybe ten minutes?

2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.

3. Combine the sugar, yogurt, soymilk, and vanilla. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and combine very well. Add the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula.

4. Grease a square baking pan very well, then dust with cocoa. This is important, or these mofos will stick. No one likes stuck brownies. Pour in the batter, yes it’s thick, and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until the toothpick test comes back positive (congratulations, it’s a brownie!)

P.S. I am not responsible if you just eat them out of the pan with a fork.

posted: 07 October 25
under: animals, deots, food, pictures, recipes

12 Responses to “Brownies.”

1. trina says:

I’m not too good to just eat them out of the pan. I have yet to find a worthwhile vegan brownie recipe. I want them fudgie. I will definitely try these.

2. Nix Smith says:

I’m so in the “eat out of the pan with a fork” camp. I’ll even bring extra forks!

3. Celine says:

finally! my half of our twin plates will be complete.

4. apricot says:

Guess you could always line the pan with parchment paper…

5. vegetation says:

Mmmmm eating crumbs from the pan is the best bit! I have these bookmarked for when I’m finished moving. And can’t WAIT for the zine to be ready!!!

6. Leigh says:

Whoa, those look gooey and wonderful.

7. Andria says:

“Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until the toothpick test comes back positive (congratulations, it’s a brownie!)”

You have to be one of the funniest people I know!

8. Adam says:

When yous ay a container of soy yogurt, how much is that? I pick up quart containers of it and not little serving sizes…

9. Coppe says:

Wondering the same as above. I’m not in the US and the soy yoghurt containers we get here are kinda huge.

10. Anni says:

Hi, I tweaked your recipe a little bit and baked brownies for the first time in my life last week, and they were delicious! So good that I baked them again the next day. I added mint to the first and spices to the second batch, and didn’t have problems with crumbling or sticking (I used parchment paper). Thanks so much for the recipe, I posted my version on my blog if you want to check it out!

I also didn’t know how much a container of soy yogurt is, but I used 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons, and it was just perfect.

-Anni.

11. […] first thing I actually ate wirelessly were the brownies. I used a recipe from Don’t Eat off the Sidewalk, which I had made once before. It was a perfect recipe for the occasion in that the brownies, aside […]

12. […] qualified to assess how brownie-like they were. Well, I did adapt the recipe from an American blog Don’t Eat Off the Sidewalk and I’m sure that Katie knows what a brownie is. These were like moist and delicate pieces of […]

13. Hi there, tidy website you have there.

14. say thanks to a lot for your web site it aids a lot.

15. Surprisingly user friendly site. Astounding information readily available on few gos to.

16. Merely needed to stress I’m happy I happened in your page.|

17. I like this site – its so usefull and helpfull.