» Thanksgiving in July. Don’t Eat Off The Sidewalk!

Thanksgiving in July.

My first MoFo post is late thanks to a lost dog who ate half of my dog cookies, slobbered all over me, and is now spending the night in my back yard because while she is microchipped, her owners didn’t actually register her.  This means I have to take our dogs out front to pee and she’s probably back there chewing on the water bowl, but if my dog went missing i’d like to think that someone would keep them safe until they could track me down.  The upside is that since I didn’t blog for three months I have plenty of material to pull up without a lot of effort!

Sometime back in June, I decided I was going to have Thanksgiving for the 4th of July.  Because Thanksgiving is awesome and I don’t care about drinking beer or blowing shit up (I like sparkles though, they’re shiny).  And I reeeeeeally wanted stuffing.  No one was there but Brian and I, which means I got to spend my day casually putting things together and no one was yelling at me and I didn’t have to huff turkey fumes or threaten to kill everyone with the electric knife.

One of the most exciting parts was that I FINALLY got to make my own tofurkey.  Brian is in love with the one you can buy, me…eh.  I don’t like the stuffing that much and they hardly give you any.  I always offer to make us something myself and he gets this sad look in his eyes like I just told him about the end of Old Yeller.  But since no one is selling tofurkey roasts in July, I made Bryanna Clark Grogan’s Seitan Turkey, which I rolled out and filled with cornbread cranberry stuffing.

Beside the tofurkey, I stuck to pretty simple things (not that the tofurkey was hard to make),  We had extra stuffing on the side, sweet potatoes for me and regular potatoes for my hater husband, and green beans with mushrooms.  The roast was amazing and Brian agreed that we can have it for Thanksgiving and save ourselves about $15.

And then for dessert, I went with boring old pumpkin pie, made much less boring by sprinkling some Dandies marshmallows on top.

I don’t know about you guys, but I am now hella hungry.  I think I still have some of the cornbread stuffing mix in the pantry…

posted: 09 October 1
under: food, holidays, pictures, veganmofo

17 Responses to “Thanksgiving in July.”

1. B.A.D. says:

Cornbread cranberry stuffing? That sounds amazing!

Sorry to hear about your temporary backyard take over, hopefully you’ll be able to find the dog momma soon.

2. Nora says:

that roast looks wonderful! screw tofurkey

3. Susan says:

I hope you find the puppy’s parents soon! They must be frantic with worry that they are missing!

That homemade tofurkey roast looks awesome! We don’t have Tofurkey here, though Sanitarium does make a vegan roast you can buy, but I love making homemade ones!

4. Mihl says:

Boring pumpkin pie? It looks gorgeous.

5. Jojo says:

Woah marshmallow pumpkin pie – that’s pretty rad!!

I’m planning on making that seitan turkey for thanksgiving this year … I have to have Thanksgiving even though we’re in the UK because otherwise all the talk about it on the PPK makes me too jealous!

6. Aimee says:

Wow. Your roast looks amazing. Kudos to you for making your own. And…how can anyone hate sweet potatoes?

7. Michelle says:

Everything looks gorgeous! I love Bryanna’s roast so much and it has become my go-to holiday meal. Those melty dandies over pumpkin pie…rawrr.

8. bex says:

Anytime is a good time for T-giving!! It looks gorgeous dahling

9. Jenn says:

Thanksgiving anytime sounds great. I love your stuffed seitan!

10. megan says:

Now I am starving. I hate you a little.

I make brian mccarthy’s seitan turkey and it is always delish. I will have to try this recipe!

11. Celia says:

Lovely! I need to start testing recipes for Thanksgiving, and that roast looks like the perfect place to start.

12. A-K says:

I often have desires for Thanksgiving food at utterly un-Thanksgiving moments, but usually it’s too hot to follow through with it. That all looks delicious!

13. Wow… can’t get over that roast!

14. Veronica says:

The roaaaast. I’ve been itching to cook a Thanksgiving dinner for some time, but of course have to wait until I actually have that weekend off to do so… but you just made my day with this meal.

15. Mo says:

This is too, too funny! I’ve always wanted to try that recipe and have it saved somewhere. I’ll definitely try it now.

16. Melisser says:

Damn, I might have to make a seitan turkey roll!

17. Andria says:

I want that seitan turkey roll for day-after-Thanksgiving Dinner!! Cornbread stuffing…mmmmmm. If you are planning on making that same whole meal we like everything except mushrooms…sorry…don’t hate. We can pick them out if you and Brian love them. What do you want me to make and bring? A pie or something for dessert? Another puppy missing an eye? (Not to eat, obviously.)

18. Great internet site! It looks really expert! Maintain the great job!

19. I love perusing your web site. Thank you so much!

20. Many thanks, this site is extremely helpful.

21. Keep up the outstanding work !! Lovin’ it!

22. Wow cuz this is excellent job! Congrats and keep it up.

23. Cool content you have here.