» VeganMoFo: Iron Chef Challenge #2 Don’t Eat Off The Sidewalk!

VeganMoFo: Iron Chef Challenge #2

Thinking up combinations is harder than you might think, since i’m trying to make any produce seasonal and not trying to include anything too expensive or weird.  And I had to ask for help with this one!  This weeks challenge is…

Pears and nuts!

Yes, pears are a lot like apples.  But they’re not!  They’re their own thing.  I decided nuts was better than naming a specific nut, because sometimes nuts are expensive and certain people have allergies to certain nuts…and yes, you can use peanut butter.  I’m still not sure exactly what i’m going to make but I do have a few ideas rolling around.  I have to go to the commissary anyway so I think i’m just going to get my pears and try to whip something up with what I have on hand.

Another thing I wasn’t considering in the deadline last week is, timezones!  When it’s noon here it’s only 10 am on the west coast.  I’m sorry for being such an insensitive boob, guys.  So with that in mind, this weeks deadline will be 8 pm, CST.  Jokes about nuts in your mouth are appreciated, but not required to participate.

Allez Végétalien Cuisine!

posted: 08 October 11
under: veganmofo

36 Responses to “VeganMoFo: Iron Chef Challenge #2”

1. Isa says:

I think I can handle pears n nuts.

2. Jes says:

Oooh, fun combo! Hopefully I’ll have time to grab some pears and join in this time!

3. I’m in! This time I actually remembered to comment that I’m doing it. Thanks for the time extension for us Western folk. A little preview – I’m thinking Thanksgiving . . .

4. Andria says:

Pumpkin should be an ingredient next time!

5. b.a.d. says:

hmmmm… so is the due date saturday? or sunday?

6. Jenn says:

Yay! I did buy some pears at the farmer’s market this morning. They are rock hard, though. I think I’ll need another trip to the store.

7. Dynah says:

I’m in! Just got home with my ingredients and I’m psyched to spend the evening working on my creation.

8. Zac says:

Since I didn’t really like the idea of booze for Sunday lunch last time, I decided to have desert.

9. Laura says:

yay! I enjoyed the last challenge so much…I am sure this one will be just as great, if not better! My wheels are already turning!!

10. Georgia says:

Well Pears are not in season here but I did happen to have two in the fruit bowl – so here is my entry. Took them to a potluck for lunch today and they went down a treat.

11. Lily Girl says:

I’m so excited I learned about this. I found out too late to participate last week, but I was on top of it this week!
    Here’s my entry for the pears ‘n’ nuts challenge. http://smells-delicious.blogspot.com/2008/10/veganmofo-iron-chef-challenge.html

12. Shellyfish says:

Pears & Nuts – I love it! I’m all over this! Trop Cool!

13. Zoey says:

Hi Katie,

I picked up some pears this morning at the market and I would love to participate this week. I will link back to my post when it is ready. Thank you for coordinating this!

14. Zoey says:

Hi Katie,

I picked up some pears and nuts at the market today and I am looking forward to participating in this weeks challenge. I will link back to my post when it is ready. Thank you for coordinating this!

15. Michelle says:

I just posted mine (and am munching on it right now):

Pear-Pecan Sandies: http://my-zoetrope.blogspot.com/2008/10/veganmofo-day-12-iron-chef-challenge-2.html

16. Zoey says:

Hi Katie,

My post is up. Thank you again for coordinating this, it was really fun!

17. Jenn says:

Here’s mine.

Amaretto sour peartini spritzer
    Toasted pecan, roasted pear and fennel salad
    Angel hair with walnut pear pesto and almond topping
    Baked pear with almond and raisin topping in rum pear sauce

Whew.

18. bex says:

I didn’t quite get what I wanted but it was still good.

19. Melisser says:

Use Brussels Sprouts! yum.
    Greens & ____?
    Persimmons?
    Okay, I will shut up.

20. Heads Up our purposes loves the nice web site and remember to keep it on

21. I like this post, enjoyed this one thank you for posting. ¡°When you make a world tolerable for yourself, you make a world tolerable for others.¡± by Anais Nin.

22. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

23. I am not really superb with English but I line up this really easygoing to interpret.